Having a Rajdhani Express journey ahead? Is food free in Rajdhani Express? In this article, we have answered all your queries, including the full food chart along with the timings.
Rajdhani and Shatabdi are two of the many categories of trains that the Indian Railways run. These two are considered to be the best. Precisely due to their appreciable services.
Is Food Free in Rajdhani Express?
No, the food is not free in Rajdhani Express. The cost of food is already included in your tickets.
While booking a ticket, it is optional for you to choose if you want catering services or not. Accordingly, the fare of the tickets varies.
What Food is Served in Rajdhani Express and at What Time?
The responsibility of the food served on the trains was earlier released to various catering firms via tenders released by the Indian Railways.
However, due to customer dissatisfaction, the IRCTC took this responsibility on its shoulders. The food quality and quantity has since then improved by a large factor.
The food served is different across routes and depends on the region the train is in. This is done keeping in mind the diversity of the nation as the staple food varies from state to state.
Rajdhani Express: First Class AC food
Rajdhani Express: Mumbai CSMT to Hazrat Nizamuddin route food
Rajdhani Express: Madgaon to Hazrat Nizamuddin route food
The complete menu of Rajdhani Express is as follows:
- Welcome Drink
- Lemonade Drink, tetra packed (200ml)
- Fruit Juice, tetra packed (200ml)
- Morning Tea
- Teabag (2gm)
- Coffee bag (2gm)
- 2 Sugar Sachets (8gm each)
- 1 milk creamer sachet (5gm)
- 2 biscuits
- Breakfast (any 1)
- 2 Stuffed Paratha (100gm each), packed curd (100gm), and pickle (15gm)
- 2 Kulcha chana (100gm each), packed curd (100gm), and pickle (15gm)
- 2 Besan Chila with chutney (100gm each), packed curd(100gm), and pickle (15gm)
- 2 Vegetable cutlets with finger chips (50gm) and boiled vegetables (25gm)
- 2 Vegetable cutlets (50gm each)
- Paneer-a-la-keive (30gm) with finger chips & boiled vegetables (25gm)
- Dhokla (100gm) with chutney (30gm) and fried mirchi
- Poha (100gm) with chutney (30gm) and pickle (15gm)
- 2 Idlis (50gm each) with sambar (100gm) and coconut chutney (40gm)
- Rice Pongal (100gm) with sambar (100gm) and coconut chutney (40gm)
- Rava Upma (100gm) with sambar (100gm) and coconut chutney (40gm)
- Onion Uttapam (100gm) with sambar (100gm) and coconut chutney (40gm)
- 2 Mendu Vada (50gm each) with sambar (100gm) and coconut chutney (40gm)
- Soup (150ml) (any 1)
- Tomato and Cream
- Vegetable Soup
- Mushroom Soup
- Sweetcorn Soup
- Rice (100gm) (any 1)
- Plain Rice
- Jeera Rice
- Matar Pulao
- Fried Rice
- Paratha/Roti (100 gms) (any 1)
- 4 Plain Roti
- 2 Parathas
- 4 Rumali Roti
- 4 Poori
- Extra rice in place of Roti
- Dal (150gm) (any 1)
- Dal Tadka
- Kabuli Chana
- Dal Makhani
- Chana Dal
- Ghia Chana Dal
- Dishes (150gm) (any 1)
- Mix Veg
- Aloo Gobhi
- Bharwa Bhindi
- Aloo Posto
- Vegetable Poriyal
- Kadai paneer
- Paneer-Do-Pyaza paneer
- Navratan Korma
- Matar paneer
- Palak paneer
- Veg. Kootu
- Dum aloo Kashmere
- Veg. Jalfrezi
- Shahi paneer
- Veg. Kofta
- Malai Kofta
- Evening Brunch (any 1)
- 1 Salted or Masala Peanuts (25-30gm)
- Roasted Gram Chana (25-30 gms)
- 1 Veg. Sandwich triangle (60 gms)
- 2 Samosa (50gm)
- 1 Cheese patties (50gm)
- 1 Kachori (50gm)
- 1 Khasta kachori (50gm)
- 1 Vada Pav (50gm)
- 2 Masala Vada (50gm)
- 1 Bread pakoda (50gm)
- 1 Indian Mithai (30 gms)
- 1 Tomato ketchup Sachet (15 gms)
- 1 Tea/Coffee kit (Sugar/ sugar-free Sachet, Coffee or Teabag, Milk cream Sachet)
- Dessert (any 1)
- Branded Ice cream (90 ml)
- Kulfi (60 ml)
- Payasam (60 ml)
- 2 Kala Jamun (50gm each)
- 2 Rasgulla (50gm each)
- Sri Khand (100 gms)
- Complementary Condiments with each meal
- 2 loaves of white or brown bread (50gm)
- 1 marmalade or jam sachet (15 gms)
- 1 butter chipset (10 gms)
- 1 pickle sachet (15 gms)
- 1 salt and pepper sachet (each)
All the food options might not be open to you when you travel. The availability varies according to the travel zone.
Can You Pay For Extra Food?
Yes, in case you want more food than what is served, you can get more by paying an extra amount to the pantry staff.
IRCTC has also launched an app called Menu On Rail for you to guide through the menu. Also, you can check out the prices of the food in case you want to order more.
In case, you did not opt for a ticket with food on the rail, you can still enjoy the food served hot. You can contact the pantry staff and pay them as per the dishes’ cost.
Can You Take The Remaining Food Home?
Yes, once the food is served to you it is all yours. Though the quantity is enough to be finished off in one meal, in case you have leftovers you are free to take them with you.
After all, you did pay for the food served to you. It is yours to deal with.
Is There Non-Veg Food Option?
Yes, there is a proper menu provided from which you can choose what to order. Though, it is possible that not all the food items are available on your route so be considerate as to what is available.
The Non-Veg Menu of Rajdhani Express comprises of:
- Vegetable Omelette of 2 eggs with finger chips (50gm)
- 2 Boiled eggs
- Scrambled Eggs of 2
- Lunch/Dinner (150gm) (any 1)
- Fish Moily
- Dahi Mach
- Fish Curry
- Chicken Butter Masala
- Chicken Manchurian
- Chettinadu Chicken
- Chicken Dish
- Murg Jalfrezi
Our Honest Review of Rajdhani Express Food
The food served on the train is always inspected by the food officials present on the train at all times. Also, the food is prepared fresh on the concerned stations.
Whichever station the train is supposed to be on the time of the meal, the food is prepared there and then loaded on to the pantry car of the rail. This is how the railways make sure that the food is freshly prepared.
Apart from this, preservable packed items like chips, curd, juices are at all times available on the train. The quality has improved gradually over the years and you will not be disappointed.
Talking of the quantity of the food served, it is enough for a person with an average diet to quench his hunger. In fact, there is a good chance that you will have leftovers.
Though these trains never run late, but if they do they are bound to serve you with some extra food.
Indian Railways or the IRCTC is concerned with all the services of the railways in the country. When we talk of Shatabdi or Rajdhani, the first thing that comes on mind is their speed and the second is food.
These two categories of trains serve food to their riders and that too good food. The riders are in for an assortment of options to choose from. Though, food availability has one limitation that is the travel zone of the rail.
If this article helped you garner useful knowledge, then do spread the love. Share it with your friends and family.
*featured image credits: Miya.m – Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported
Meet the literarian of our group! She loves crafts, paintings, poetry, food, and can lip-sync dialogues from F.R.I.E.N.D.S all day. The world of words fascinates her, a true logophile. A typical millennial with an old touch.