Most of us have grown up with our grandmothers telling us to eat this or drink that when we have some common ailment. They have lived long enough to figure out what works best in these situations.
Therefore, instead of popping those pills, try these grandma-approved home remedies for your skin, hair, and health.
Dadi Maa Ke Nuskhe For Glowing Skin
There are countless products in the market for your skin, but most of them are filled with chemicals. These were hardly available and rarely used by our grandmothers.
Instead of them, you can use natural products to achieve glowing skin. Some of the ingredients you can use to combine in a fine paste and apply on your face include:
We all know that milk is highly rich in nutrients. The lactic acid in milk helps reduce pigmentation. It can also hydrate your skin and relieve sunburns. Put milk on your face before bed and after you wake up with a piece of cotton and wash it off with lukewarm water once it dries.
It is highly expensive but can do wonders for your skin. It reduces acne, helps achieve an even skin tone, and makes the skin glow.
Turmeric is almost like a magic powder. It can cure many ailments, from the common cold to gastric issues. It has anti-inflammatory properties that can protect the skin from acne outbursts. Turmeric can also cure stretch marks and prevent wrinkles.
Honey is one such ingredient that is found in almost every store-bought cream, face pack, or face wash. You can apply natural honey on your skin that can help you get rid of acne, relieve sunburn, even skin tone, and cure chapped lips.
- Multani Mitti
A natural face pack and exfoliator. ‘Multani mitti’ helps revive the glow of your skin and get rid of blackheads or whiteheads. It works for both dry and oily skin types.
- Curd and Besan (Gram Flour)
The lactic acid in curd exfoliates the skin. Its other components provide nourishment and help achieve glowing skin. You can combine curd with besan and apply it as a face pack to reduce oiliness in the skin. Besan also helps to reduce tanning and acne, fight infections, and exfoliate dead skin.
Dadi Maa Ke Nuskhe For Gas
Some ‘Dadi maa’ prescribed home remedies that can help you with gas problems are as follows:
- Combine honey and cinnamon powder in equal amounts and consume it.
- In a glass of water, add a pinch of turmeric and a little bit of rock salt.
- If you suffer from a gas problem often, mix asafetida (hing) powder, cumin powder, ajwain powder, amchur powder, and sugar powder, roll this mixture into a ball, and after a meal pop this into your mouth and let it release its juices.
- Immediately after eating, have 1 tbsp of ginger root pulp mixed with 1 tbsp of lemon juice.
- Roast cumin seeds, ajwain seeds, and fennel seeds in equal proportions and prepare a mixture. After a meal, chew ½-1 tsp of this mixture and then gulp it with a cup of water.
- Have radish to get rid of the gas problem. You can have it as a salad along with black salt. Remember to not eat it during the night.
Dadi Maa Ke Nuskhe For Good Sleep
Experts believe that eating a handful of cherries before going to sleep will help you to sleep better. You can also have cherry juice or frozen cherries if the fresh ones are not available.
Having a glass of milk before going to sleep will be beneficial for you. Tryptophan and serotonin present in milk help you to sleep better.
Bananas contain magnesium and potassium that help promote good sleep. They are also a good source of vitamin B6.
Almonds are also a good source of magnesium which promotes sleep. They also relieve muscle stress which is beneficial in obtaining a peaceful sleep.
Rubbing mustard oil on the bottom of your feet can help you in getting good sleep and keep your mind at peace.
Dadi Maa Ke Nuskhe For Hair Growth
- Applying onion paste on your scalp leads to hair growth. But applying onion paste directly on your scalp can cause damage as the scalp skin is sensitive. Therefore, diluting the onion paste can help you achieve the desired result without any damage.
- Take 2 tbsp of olive oil, add 2 tbsp aloe vera gel, and onion paste. Strain this mixture and massage your scalp with the strained mix. After half an hour, rinse it off with water.
- Onion helps blood flow in the scalp and provides nourishment to the roots which facilitates hair growth. Apart from this, onions also have antibacterial properties that help to get rid of any infection which causes hair to fall.
- To have long and strong hair, eat almonds and figs that have been soaked in water. You can also eat chia and flax seeds to provide the necessary vitamins and minerals that help your hair to grow. Chia seeds are high in copper that is helpful for hair growth.
- Having coconut water can also help you to grow your hair. Coconut contains many necessary vitamins and minerals that help keep your scalp healthy. They also contain antioxidants that repair damaged hair and prevent dryness.
Dadi Maa Ke Nuskhe For Skin Allergy
Some major causes of allergy can be air pollution, dust, change in the weather, animal-related allergies, and so many more. Allergies can also be of many types and can affect various areas of the body such as skin, nose, or neck.
Some grandma approved home remedies for allergy are:
- Before sleeping, boil 1 dry date and 1 fig in milk and then consume it.
- Take the juice of ‘neem giloy’ with 1-3 grams of ‘HaridraKhand Churna’. This can provide you with relief from any kind of allergy, no matter how long it has been there.
- After you wake up, drink a glass of lukewarm lemon water. The vitamin C in lemon helps get rid of allergy-related cold and build the body’s immunity. You can also have the juice of half a lemon mixed with 1 tbsp of honey.
- To get rid of the nose and skin allergy, put 4-5 drops of castor oil in any vegetable or fruit juice and drink it on an empty stomach in the morning. You can also use water instead of juice.
- You can also get relief from your allergy by drinking a combination of 100 ml of beetroot juice, 100 ml of cucumber juice, and 100 ml of carrot juice every day.
- If you suffer from a skin allergy, apply coconut oil mixed with a little lemon juice at night and rinse it with neem water in the morning.
Dadi Maa Ke Nuskhe For Pimples
- Before going to sleep, rubbing ice on your pimple can help remove dirt and oil around it. This helps clear the skin and the pimple appears less swollen in the morning.
- You can clear your skin by taking steam. This makes the skin clean and soft which prevents pimples from occurring.
- Make a mixture by combining 1 tsp fresh coriander and a pinch of turmeric powder. Dab this on the pimples while going to bed at night and wash it off in the morning.
- You can also use apple cider vinegar to clear your skin. Dilute the vinegar in water and then apply it to your face with the help of cotton. After applying, wash your face with water.
- Take the egg whites of 3 eggs and leave it for some time. Then apply this paste on your pimple and leave it for 20 minutes before washing it off.
- Add a few drops of honey to yogurt and then apply this paste on your face to remove pimples.
- Wash your face with lukewarm water and then rub an orange peel over the pimple. The vitamin C will help suppress it.
- Neem can be very effective in curing pimples. Make a paste using crushed neem leaves, rose water, and Multani mitti, and apply it over your face. You can also crush neem roots and apply them directly over the pimple.
- Make a paste using fresh curry leaves. Apply this paste on the acne-affected area and keep it overnight. Wash it off with warm water in the morning. You can also make a paste using fenugreek leaves.
- Apply a combination of nutmeg and raw milk and wash it off after 20 minutes. Do this for 10-12 days and see the results.
Dadi Maa Ke Nuskhe For Stomach Pain
- Roast ajwain on a pan and then add black salt to it. Add this mixture to water and drink it 2-3 times a day to get rid of stomach pain.
- If a child is suffering from stomach pain, make a paste by adding 2-3 grams of asafoetida in water. Apply it around the belly button, this will bring relief from the pain.
- Drink the juice of 10-12 grams of tulsi leaves if you are suffering from stomach ache.
- Roast 3-5 grams of cumin and consume it with water 2-3 times a day. If you chew the cumins directly, it will cure the pain faster.
- To get immediate relief from stomach pain, slowly chew a piece of ginger to get its juice. You can also combine 1 tbsp of ginger juice, a few granules of sugar, and 1-2 tbsp of lemon juice and drink it.
- Every morning, chewing 2 cloves on an empty stomach will be very effective. Cloves have antibacterial properties that prevent infection and improve digestion.
- Soak 10-15 grams of fennel in a glass of water overnight. Drink the strained water in the morning.
- Onion juice combined with a little bit of salt can be effective in curing stomach pain.
Dadi Maa Ke Nuskhe For Digestion
- Having 1 tsp of turmeric mixed with 2 tsp of honey will remove any infection you have in the stomach. You can also store this mixture and have half a tsp daily.
- Drinking a glass of water with a few drops of honey before going to sleep will improve digestion.
- Dip a piece of ginger in lemon juice, keep it in your mouth and absorb its juice to improve digestive health.
- Grind gooseberry (amla) and add rock salt (sendha namak), roasted cumin, black pepper, fennel, and asafoetida. Make small balls of this mixture and consume them. It helps in improving digestion and increasing hunger.
- Make a powder using cardamom seeds and add ‘mishri’ to it in an equal amount. Have 3 grams of this mixture twice or thrice in a day.
- You can drink ‘ajwain’ water daily to improve your digestion.
- Combine cumin, ajwain, and black salt in equal amounts and have a tsp of this mixture with water.
- On an empty stomach, drinking water from a copper jug first thing in the morning can also help in improving digestion.
Dadi Maa Ke Nuskhe For Acid Reflux
Acid reflux is very common. It occurs when the valve between the food pipe and the stomach fails to close properly after eating, which allows the acid from the stomach to leak into the food pipe.
Some ways to prevent this from happening are:
- Having a glass of cold milk or chilled buttermilk.
- You can add cucumbers to your diet. They contain a lot of water which helps in hydrating your body and reducing acid reflux.
- Eating fennel seeds after every meal.
- Eating amla every day can help with problems such as bloating, stomach pain, and acid reflux. It also keeps your hair and skin healthy.
- In a glass of water add a few drops of lemon juice and 1 tsp of baking soda. This will give instant relief to heartburn, caused due to acid reflux.
- Herbal tea made from fennel seeds can help with acid reflux. To make this tea, add 2 tsp of fennel seeds to a cup of boiling water and let it sit for 10 minutes. Drink it after straining.
- Chewing a garlic clove. You can also put a few garlic cloves in apple cider vinegar. Whenever you experience heartburn, take a sip of this liquid.
- Eating an apple can help bring down the burning sensation caused by acid reflux instantly.
- Mix 1 tsp of yellow mustard in half a glass of water.
Dadi Maa Ke Nuskhe For Acidity
- In a glass of water add baking soda and drink it. This will help in curing stomach pain due to acidity.
- Cloves have a direct impact on our digestive process. Therefore, after having a meal, slowly sucking a piece of clove will give you instant relief from acidity.
- Having jaggery is also a good remedy to prevent acidity. Eat about 5-10 grams of jaggery after a meal to prevent acidity and improve digestion.
- Grind cardamom and clove to make a powder. Consume this powder after every meal. This also works as a mouth freshener and helps reduce digestion.
- Boil a cup of water and then add 1 tsp of fennel(saunf) to it. Leave it overnight and in the morning filter the water, add a tsp of honey, and drink it thrice a day. This will help you bid goodbye to your acidity problem.
Dadi Maa Ke Nuskhe For Constipation
- Some natural laxatives are papaya, figs, grapes, and orange. Soak 4-5 dry figs in water overnight and consume them in the morning.
- Spinach is also an excellent remedy for constipation. The best way is to eat it raw in order to receive maximum benefits but you can also drink 100ml of spinach juice mixed with an equal quantity of water twice a day.
- Eating a medium-sized pear with breakfast or before dinner helps with constipation.
- Having guava with seeds provides the body with an adequate amount of fiber that improves bowel movements.
Dadi Maa Ke Nuskhe For Indigestion
- Drink a glass of curry leaves boiled in water with few drops of lime juice.
- Mix coriander leaves in buttermilk and drink it.
- Add 1 tsp of fennel seeds and a pinch of cinnamon in a cup of boiled water and leave it covered overnight. Drink this water in the morning.
- Eat ground cardamom powder mixed with ginger, coriander and cloves.
- In a glass of buttermilk, add ¼ tsp of black pepper. This will help with indigestion as well as heaviness in the stomach.
- Mix a tsp of tamarind pulp with black pepper, cardamom, cloves. Strain it and then drink.
- Soak 1 tsp of ajwain in a glass of buttermilk for 5-6 hours. Ground the ajwain in the same buttermilk and then consume it.
- Chew a piece of ginger after every meal.
Dadi Maa Ke Nuskhe For Headache
- Take ¼ tsp of nutmeg and add water to it to make a paste. Apply it on your forehead and leave it like that for half an hour. Wash it off after that.
- Take 2 tbsp of aloe vera gel 3 times a day.
- Make a tea using cumin and coriander. Add cumin and coriander seeds into boiling water and heat it for 2-3 minutes. Allow it to cool down till room temperature and then drink it.
- Make a powder using ½ tsp of sandalwood and some water. Apply this paste on your forehead, keep for half an hour and then wash it off.
- Add 10 drops of eucalyptus oil in hot water and take steam with your head covered.
- Applying a warm paste made using 1 tsp of ginger powder and water can also bring relief from headaches.
Dadi Maa Ke Nuskhe For Hair Removal
- Papaya Paste
Papaya helps to stop unwanted hair growth as well as reduce their visibility. It is really good for those with sensitive skin.
- Combine 1-2 tbsp of papaya paste with ½ tsp of turmeric powder. Apply this paste on your face and neck, leave it for 15 minutes and then wash it off with water. Do this twice a week.
- Another way in which papaya can be used is by making a paste using 1 tbsp of papaya paste, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ¼ tsp gram flour, 4 tbsp aloe vera gel, and 2 tbsp mustard oil. Apply this paste where you want your hair to be removed but in the direction opposite to which the hair grows. Leave it to dry for 15-20 minutes. Take a cloth and clean the paste in the direction in which you have applied it. After removing the paste, wash with water. Then moisturize your skin using olive oil or a moisturizer. Do this thrice in a week, regularly for at least 3 months.
Take 1-2 tbsp of turmeric (increase the quantity according to the size of your body) and mix it with water or milk to make a paste. Apply this over the skin and leave it to dry for 15-20 minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water. If your hair growth is too much, add gram flour and oats milk to this paste and then apply it.
- Chickpea Flour
Mix ½ cup chickpea flour, ½ cup milk, 1 tsp turmeric powder, and 1 tsp cream to make a paste. Apply this paste in the direction in which the hair grows. Leave it for half an hour and then lightly massage it. Then wash the skin with lukewarm water.
- Lemon and sugar
Take 1 tbsp of sugar, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp honey, and 1-2 tsp cornstarch. Mix all these ingredients and warm them to make a smooth paste. You can add water if the paste becomes too thick. Let it sit for some time so that it cools down a little.
Now dust cornstarch on the area you want to remove your hair from. Apply this paste using a butter knife towards the direction the hair grows. Then put a waxing strip over it, press it on the skin and pull it in the opposite direction.
- Potato and Dal
Take 1 cup of potato juice, 1 cup of moong dal (soaked overnight and turned into a paste), 1 tbsp honey, and 4 tbsp lemon juice. Apply this paste over the area you want to remove unwanted hair from. Leave it to dry for 15-20 minutes, massage it, and then rinse it off with water.
Mix 1 egg white, 1 tbsp sugar, and ½ tbsp cornflour to make a smooth paste. Apply it over the area and leave it to dry. Peel it off slowly to remove the hair along with it.
Dadi Maa Ke Nuskhe For Hair Fall
- Make a hair mask using 1 tbsp onion paste and 2 tbsp castor oil. Apply this mix to your hair for 30 minutes. Instead of washing your hair with a regular shampoo, use a home-made hair wash.
- Combine aloe-vera, lemon juice, and amla juice. Massage it on your hair to get rid of hair fall.
- Mix and apply coconut oil and honey on your hair to end hair fall.
- Soak fenugreek overnight and blend it in the morning. Apply this mixture to the roots of your hair and let it stay for 30 minutes.
- Let the yogurt sit for 3-4 days to make it sour. Apply it to the roots of your hair. Do this every other day.
- Combine sesame oil, mustard oil, and coconut oil in equal proportions. Warm this oil a little and apply it to the roots of your hair using your fingers. Massage for 10-15 minutes every day.
Share this article with your friends and family and let them know of these common home remedies.